Tuesday 13 June 2017

Pedigree charts


I have been digging into the ancestry of both grandfather James Riddell and grandmother Catherine Gordon, partly just by gathering what some of my cousins can tell me in order to expand on my own limited knowledge.

On the Riddell side it has helped that I have made contact with a distant cousin who lives in Australia. It turns out that we have common ancestors in James Meldrum (b. 1744) and Janet Largue (b.1751) in the Kennethmont area of Aberdeenshire. They were our gggg-grandparents, which means that we are 5th cousins.
And on the Gordon side I have also been in touch with a similarly distant relative in Canada who has been very helpful. I will keep each of these folks anonymous for now, but they have been very useful in my efforts so far.

So I now have a rather better understanding of the ancestry (or "pedigree" in genealogical terms) of each of my grandparents. There are still many gaps, but I have written up what I have so far, and produced a copy of the two pedigree charts as I currently understand them. And I attach jpeg copies below on the assumption that these will be of some interest to anyone browsing here. In fact I can now see that they are pretty illegible here - unless you are interested enough to download copies to your own device. I will intend to come back to upload PDF copies which should be better.

Of course these charts still represent work in progress, but I would like to share in order to invite any comment or correction which you can offer.
As a final note here, I will say that I intend to join a genealogical website sometime soon, where I will upload what I have so far, and where I expect to be able to flesh out these charts a bit - and maybe to encounter some more otherwise unknown distant cousins. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

News Update!

I feel I should post an update to this blog, to explain why it has effectively ground to a halt. I continue to be interested in explo...